You are here: Home / Destinations / Sweden / All Documents - Stockholm / Stockholm - Visa

Stockholm - Visa

General information

Nationals of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden do not require passports for journeys between these countries, providing they are in possession of identity papers.
Nationals of Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Irish Republic, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland may enter holding a National Identity Card for a period up to 3 months
All other nationalities require a passport to enter the country.

Short term visas  

  • Short term visit: up to three months
    * Visas are not required for visits of up to three months for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Hungary, Iceland, Irish Republic, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea (South), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States and Venezuela.  (NB this is not an exhaustive list and nationals of other states should check the position before travelling).
  • Visa application   
    * Citizens from most African, Asian, Eastern European and Latin American countries are required to apply for a visa even for a temporary stay. You must prove that you have a valid passport, can support yourself during the stay and that you can pay for a return ticket. Applications can be made at the Swedish embassy or consulate in your native country or country of residence and must contain the following information:
    You must indicate your purpose for visiting Sweden. How you intend to support yourself during your stay. When and where you will be in Sweden.
    What type of passport you have and how long it will be valid. Where you will be going after your visit to Sweden.
    The period of your entry permit and residence permit in the country to which you intend to travel, if you will not be returning directly to home country following your stay in Sweden.
    The period of your exit/return permit in your home country, if applicable.
    You may be required to show an invitation from the person or company you intend to visit. It generally takes about six weeks to process an application.
  • Employment based visa 
    Unless you are a national of the EU or one of the Nordic countries you must obtain a work permit before entering Sweden.
    Obtaining visas can be a complex and time-consuming process. Usually the company you are going to work for undertakes such a task. But if you need help there are a number of specialized agencies which will do this for you.

CIBT Global Relocation Services, Inc.
25 West 43rd Street
Suite 1420
New York,
NY 10036
Tel: + 1 (800) 925 2428 / + 1 (212) 575 2811
Fax: + 1 (212) 575 3605
Relocation information for US residents. Offices throughout the US.

Travel Document Systems
734 Fifteenth Street N.W. Suite 400
Washington, D.C.
Tel: +1 202 638 3800
Fax: + 1 202 638- 674
email: info(
Visa and passport services for US citizens and US permanent residents.

Global Visas 

  • UK
    181 Oxford Street, 
    London Wl ITA  
    Tel: + 44 (0)20 7287 8344;  
    UK immigration/tourist visas  
    Tel: + 44 (0)20 7734 5900;  
    UK work permits  
    Tel: + 44 (0)20 7287 8345 
    Fax: + 44 (0)20 77346900 
  • South Africa 
    42 Restanwold 
    Saxonwold 2196 
    Tel: + 27 (11) 486 0344 
    Fax: + 27 (11) 646 1738 
  • New Zealand 
    Suite 8, 'K' Plaza, 
    501 Karagahape Road 
    Tel: + 649 377 2225 
    Fax: + 649 858 0033  

Longer staying: over three months
All expatriate employees and their families who will be remaining in Sweden for over three months require visas, to be obtained before departure for Sweden. Foreign nationals holding residence permits do not require visas.

Filed under: ,