You are here: Home / Destinations / Sweden / All Documents - Stockholm / Stockholm - Relatives or nanny/aupair visa paperwork

Stockholm - Relatives or nanny/aupair visa paperwork

An au pair by definition is a person who is between 18 and 30 years old. This person must have residence and work permits but it is not allowed to stay in Sweden for more than one year. Permits are granted for six-month periods. To be granted a permit for the second six-month period, the terms between the au pair and the family must have been upheld and the au pair must show a certificate indicating participation in Swedish language instruction.

Apply for residence and work permits at the nearest Swedish embassy or consulate. A written job offer must be in hand. The au pair will not be listed in the population registry and is therefore ineligible for social welfare benefits. For this reason an au pair must have appropriate insurance coverage from her native country covering any costs she may incur arising from illness, etc.

Filed under: ,