Stockholm - Health files
Moving from place to place involves the safe-keeping of your personal and your family medical records. It is imperative to realize as soon as possible that only written reports matter when it comes to create continuity between doctors from different country. This is due to the fact there are different backgrounds and medical training involved.
Records to keep track of include (but are not limited to):
- X-rays (make sure you ask for copies of the important exams prior to leaving a location);
- vaccinations (the vaccine' type should be reported on the vaccinations booklet, and where possible
with the lot number listed)
- if there is a pre-existing condition or cronic illness make sure you have all the files with you as well
as any current treatment or therapy (name of medications, active ingredients and dosage) or proposed
action to be taken
- if you are travelling to countries where medical assistance and availability of medications is scarce, ask
your doctor to give you medication for a certain length of time (check the expiry date).
Enquire about the possibility of having prescriptions made up from other locations and being mailed to you (in the event of difficulty acquiring specific medication).
Useful facts to record
- keep track of your 'wellness' or health check-ups and always have a copy of any check-ups in your
- doctors (and pediatricians in particular) keep a log of each visit you make. Ask for a copy of those files.
- record any specific problem (allergies, intolerance, etc.) and if a condition is life threatening make sure
you have it detailed on a laminated card that you carry with you and where possible on a bracelet or
Many services are being developed to tackle the health issues for mobile people and recently, central databases have been created to maintain medical records together with telemedicine services. This allows for the provision of Doctors support, especially for people relocated to remote areas, to advise, recommend and assist where treatment may be necessary.
As the evolution continues in this area, this sector will be reviewed.