You are here: Home / Destinations / Singapore / All Documents - Singapore / Singapore - Visa Requirements

Singapore - Visa Requirements

Travellers coming from Western Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong and Asean countries can visit Singapore for a short period without a visa. On entry your passport will be stamped with a 14 to 90 day Visitor's Visa.
For a list of counties whose citizens will need a visa to enter Singapore go to:

Employment Passes
To live permanently in Singapore it is necessary for one family member to hold an Employment Pass. To obtain an Employment Pass you must have a local sponsor who is usually your employer. Before you arrive in Singapore you must obtain an “Approval In Principal” Employment Pass. On arrival this is converted to an Employment Pass. Holders of P1, P2 and Q1 employment passes can apply for Dependents Passes for their spouse and children. "P" pass holders can also apply for long-term social visit passes for their aged parents and parents-in-law.

Employment Pass P1
For a P1 Pass, you need to have acceptable professional qualifications or specialist skills in a professional, administrative, executive or managerial capacity. Entrepreneurs and investors also fall into this category. You must have a basic monthly salary of more than S$7,000.

Employment Pass P2
For a P2 Pass, you need to earn between S$3,500 and S$7,000 per year.

Employment Pass Q1
For foreign employees who are skilled workers and technicians, or who have specialized skills needed by the economy. These workers must earn a basic monthly salary of more than S$2,500.

Ministry of Manpower Employment Pass Department
9 Maxwell Road, #03-01
Annexe A, MND complex
Tel: + 65 6293 2138
Fax: + 65 6438 5122

Dependants Pass
The spouse and children of an Employment Pass Holder can apply for a Dependents Pass which will be stamped in their passport and will usually be valid for two years.

Documents Required for Dependents Passes:
1. Form 12 (Dependant pass application form) completed and signed by applicant (in black ink). 
2. Copy of official marriage certificate (for spouse applying)
3. Copy of official birth certificates of children showing both the parents’ names and the child’s name.
4. One recent passport-sized photograph of the applicant taken within the last 3 months. No photograph
    required for children less than 12 years old.

For non-English certificates/documents, 1 copy each of the certificates/documents and the official English translation (certified by the respective embassy) must be submitted together.

Social visit pass
If you come to Singapore with a partner (who has an employment pass) but are not legally married (i.e you don’t have a marriage certificate) then you cannot stay long term in Singapore unless you obtain an employment pass in your own right. You may apply for a Social Visit Pass which will allow you to stay in Singapore for up to six months at a time.

Visitor Services Centre Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
4th Floor, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road
Singapore 208718
Tel: + 65 6391 6100

Permanent Residents
Non-Singaporeans can become Singapore Permanent Residents (PRs) by obtaining an Entry Permit (an application for an Entry Permit is an application for Singapore Permanent Residence). The normal processing time for most applications is three months.
One issue to be aware of here, is that male children of permanent residents may have to perform two years of National Service in the Singapore Army.  
The following categories of foreigners are eligible to submit applications for Permanent Residence:

  • Spouse or unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen/Permanent Resident
  • Aged parents of a Singapore Citizen
  • Employment Pass (P or Q Pass) Holders
  • Investors/Entrepreneurs
  • Hong Kong residents who satisfy certain guidelines

Submit your completed application form together with all the required documents personally to:

PR Services Centre
5th Floor, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road
Tel: + 65 6391 6100



Filed under: ,