You are here: Home / Destinations / Singapore / All Documents - Singapore / Singapore - Divorce Abroad

Singapore - Divorce Abroad

What if you are getting divorced in Singapore?
  • Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE)
    #01-02 Blk 5 Dover Crescent
    Singapore 130005
    Tel: + 65 6779 7137
    Fax: + 65 6777 0318
    Email: [email protected]
    Helpline:1800 774 5935
    Operates Monday to Friday 4pm to 10pm

Expatriate women in Singapore who hold a dependent’s pass have few legal and financial rights of their own. They have little access to legal aid if they cannot finance it themselves. AWARE coordinates help from volunteer lawyers and provides information and help with divorce, maintenance, division of assets and child custody issues.

A support group for expatriate women facing these kinds of legal problems meets on the last Thursday of the month.

If you are filing for a divorce, consult with a solicitor (lawyer).  Below is information about divorce proceedings, but a lawyer will be able to ensure that the process is carried through correctly.  A divorce is possible for couples who were married outside of Hong Kong as long as they reside here.

If only one person wants a divorce, he/she must fill in a form called a “Petition”.  Then he/she  must deliver it in person to the Family Court Registry, M1/F, M2/F, and 1/F, Wanchai Tower, 12 Harbour Road.

If both parties agree to a divorce, you will fill in a form called a “Joint Application”. 

You can not get a divorce unless you have been married for a least one year, unless you have special permission from the court. 

Grounds for Divorce
Taken directly from the amended Matrimonial Causes Ordinance.  The only grounds for a divorce is that the marriage has  irretrievably broken down.  This must be supported by one or more of the following five facts:
1. adultery
2. unreasonable behaviour
3. desertion by a party for one year
4. separation for one year where both parties consent to the divorce
5. separation for two years where one party does not consent.

For joint application of a divorce, either of the following may be cited as the basis for divorce:
1. One year’s prior notice
2. One year’s prior separation.

If you want separation/divorce mediation, ReSource the Counselling Centre offers help.  They are a non-profit organization. Tel:  + 65 2523 8979

Filed under: ,