You are here: Home / Destinations / Norway / All Documents - Oslo / Oslo - Residence card

Oslo - Residence card

Paperwork before you arrive: ·
Gather personal documents e.g. passports, marriage certificates, birth certificates of children and any other documents you think you may need. If you are not married you may need proof of the period you have been living together (e.g. joint bank accounts, joint mortgage, local government registration etc). Often only original documents are accepted. Check with the Norwegian Embassy, Consulate or UDI whether visas are required and apply for these if necessary (see Visa Requirements)
Contact the personnel department in your company for advice.

Citizens of non-EEA countries may need to obtain residence permits and/or visas before entering Norway.

Paperwork when you arrive :
Register with the police in the place you will live. EEA citizens apply for a residence permit if they have not already done so from their home country. 
Register with the Folkeregister (National Register) and apply for your National Identity Number (this is more commonly referred to as your personnummer or fødselsnummer). It will take some time before you receive your number, but while waiting for it you can be issued with a preliminary D-nummer.
National Register (folkeregister) and National Identity Number (personnummer): Every resident in Norway, regardless of nationality, is registered in the National Regiseter (Folkeregister). Once you have received your Residence Permit (oppholdstillatelse), or straight away if you are from a Nordic country, you should go to the local folkeregister and apply for your National Identity Number (Personnummer). This consists of 11 digits of which the first six are your date of birth, which is why it is often referred to as Fødselsnummer (birth number). If you give birth in Norway, your child will automatically receive a personnummer. You will need your personnummer when you apply for a child benefit, open a bank account,  see a doctor or go to hospital, apply for free Norwegian lessons, get a driving license, etc. The National Register will automatically inform the tax office (ligningskontor) of your registration.

If you are married to, cohabit with or have a registered partnership with a Norwegian citizen, you do not need to apply for a residence permit before you arrive in Norway, but you still need to report to the police station and register with the folkeregister. However, if your relationship breaks up while in Norway (divorce, separation, termination of cohabitation) this will have consequences for the extension of your residence permit. Residence permits obtained based on a relationship to a Norwegian citizen cannot be renewed if the relationship breaks up. Opening hours at police and registry offices: M-F 0800 -1400

Useful addresses:

  • Folkeregister Oslo
    Hageg. 23
    Tel: + 47 (22) 66 1900
  • Folkeregister Asker
    Strøket 21
    Tel: + 47 (66) 78 3360
  • Folkeregister Bærum
    Løkketangen Senter 8
    Tel: + 47 (67) 52 3900
  • Oslo Politikammer (police office)
    Grønlandsleiret 44
    Tel: + 47 (22) 66 9050
  • Utlendingsavsnittet (police, immigration office)
    Øvrige Torg. 1
    Tel: + 47 (67) 53 0890
Filed under: ,