You are here: Home / Destinations / Mexico / All documents - Mexico City / Mexico - Pet Paperwork

Mexico - Pet Paperwork

You need the following documents to bring your pet into Mexico:

1. A vaccination certificate stating that your pet has been immunized against rabies, hepatitis, pip and leptospirosis.The cat should also have panlucopinia vaccines for feline leukemia.

2. An official health certificate issued by a veterinarian no more than 72 hours before entering Mexico. This form must have the veterinarian's professional license number (numero de cedula profesional) printed on it and must be signed by the veterinarian.

You may enter the country with up to two large pets (dogs or cats). Once you arrive and passed the Immigration zone you must go straight to the Animal Department within the airport. They will check your pets and most importantly the papers and give you a stamped document with which you can than pass the douane and exit. 

If you want to enter the country with more than two pets, you will need  permission, which can be obtained from the Mexican Consulate nearest you. An extra fee will have to be paid via a bank as well. In any case, it would be a good idea to go to a Mexican Consulate ahead of your trip and inform them of your plans. The good news is that there is no quarantine period required for pet coming into Mexico.

You must note that airlines have certain restrictions on pet weights and pet size, with regard to the required size of pet containers. It is a good idea to inform the airline that you are transporting a pet so that you can find out about when the pet is required before the flight and any other rules that the airline might have. It would be a good idea to make travel plans well in advance.

Filed under: , , ,