You are here: Home / Destinations / Mexico / All documents - Mexico / Mexico - Born Abroad

Mexico - Born Abroad

If your baby was born in Mexico, the first step is to register the child at the "registro civil" of your municipality. You need the following documents:

1. Birth certificate
2. Marriage certificate or birth certificate of both parents
3. Photo ID of both parents 
4. Proof of domicile: telephone or electricity statement
5. Two witnesses at least 18years old

Once your baby is registered, you have to go with the birth certificate and your passport to your embassy to register your baby as a citizen of your country. Not every country will allow the child to have dual nationalities. Find out at your embassy.

Do you have comments, corrections or wish to share useful information? Go to 'Add Comment'. We like hearing from you!

Filed under: ,