You are here: Home / Destinations / Hong Kong (China SAR) / All documents - Hong Kong / Hong Kong - Visa

Hong Kong - Visa

Employment based Visa     
You should be in possession of this visa before you arrive in Hong Kong. Your employer should have taken care of the documentation.  Should you wish to find out more, go to: , and select Topical Information at the top. You will then be able to look up information on visas, requirements, and documentation.

Short Visa 
Depending on your nationality, you may be issued a visa at the airport. To find out which nationalities are granted this access, go to: , and select Topical Information at the top.

Nationals of Afghanistan, Albania, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, CIS (formerly USSR), Cuba, Czec Republic, Hungary, Iran, Iraq, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Mongolia, Myanmar, North Korea, Panama, Romania, Slovakia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Vietnam, and Yugoslavia always require a visa.Other countries may have visas for 8-90 days, depending on the country.

Usually the company you are working for will secure a visa in advance for you. You should acquire your work visa before you come as it is extremely difficult (close to impossible)  to arrive in HK and then try to get a work visa!

Work Visa
Your employer should take care of the work visa. Otherwise, see for more information www. . If your spouse has the work visa and you have a dependents visa, then getting a job will be easier because you will not need a work visa yourself.

Dependent Visa
This visa is very easy to get as long as you are a spouse, dependent child, or dependent parent of someone who has a work visa. If you have a dependent visa, you can take up employment or study in Hong Kong without applying for a special visa from Immigration. 
If you are not legally married to your partner, it is possible to secure a dependent visa, but difficult. You will have to show that the partner supports you and apply to the Immigration Department to plead your case. 

Immigration Department
Immigration Tower
7 Gloucester Road
Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: + 852 2824 6111

If you have specific questions, you can e-mail the Immigration Department at: [email protected]  
You can also look at their website:   for detailed information about visitors visas, work visas, and dependent visas. 

Filed under: