You are here: Home / Destinations / Hong Kong (China SAR) / All documents - Hong Kong / Hong Kong - Importing a Car

Hong Kong - Importing a Car

First, it is inadvisable to import a car. Second hand cars can be bought at relatively cheap prices due to the fact that, as a Face issue, the Chinese wish to have brand new cars. There is a large second hand car market. Next, if you import a car you will have to pay AT LEAST 40-60% of the car’s BRAND NEW value. 

If you wish to import a car because it is a car you love, consider that the humidity and pollution will affect your beloved car’s paintwork. The driving in Hong Kong is considered bad by owners who truly love their cars. The car may be too big for the small roads of Hong Kong. Also, the people in Hong Kong drive on the left hand side of the road like they do in the UK, so your car may have the steering wheel in the wrong spot.

If you are still determined to import a car, this is what you must do: 

  • Go to:   to check out the governments requirements on importing a car.
  • You must already be in Hong Kong in order to import your car as you will need your Hong Kong ID card number.
  • Obtain the relevant licences from the Office of Dutiable Commodities Administration of the Customs and Excise Department, 10/F Canton Road Government Offices, 393 Canton Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong  Tel:+ 852 2723 3196. You will need Form 3.
  • Other places you can go in order to get forms are:
    Trade Department
    Rm 813, 8/F Trade Department Tower
    700 Nathan Road, Kowloon
    Government Publications Sales Centre
    G/F Lower Block
    Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway
    Hong Kong
  • You will need a copy of your HKID card (plus the original) and the bill of lading. You must be in HK in order to import a car because you need will need an identity card.
  • You will be required to file the import return with the Customs and Excise Department within 30 days of the vehicle arriving in Hong Kong.

Note for importing a vehicle— go to: and the government website will tell you what forms need to be filled out.