You are here: Home / Destinations / Hong Kong (China SAR) / All documents - Hong Kong / Hong Kong - Getting There

Hong Kong - Getting There

As Hong Kong only has one airport, and it is a commercial airport with outrageously expensive landing fees, people do not fly privately around Hong Kong. There may be some companies out of Shenzen, China that offer flights.

If you want an aerial view of Hong Kong, a quick helicopter trip is your best option. You can either fly around Hong Kong, fly to Shenzen, or even fly to Macau for the day. Sometimes you can get a good helipackage that includes the flight as well as a hotel.

If you’re at a hotel, they may have an airport shuttle or a bus that will take you to the Airport Express. 

The buses are easy to use. You need to have the correct change as the buses do not make change. Or use an Octopus Card (which can be purchased at MTR stations or 7-11’s), which acts like a debit card. You pay when you get on. As you enter the bus, flash the Octopus card and the amount is automatically deducted. If you’re not riding the whole route of the bus, you may not have to pay the full fare (this is only applicable with an Octopus card and on Citybus.) Flash the card when you get on AND when you get off and the machine will reimburse you a small amount. When you want to get off, press the button. Children under 12 are half price, and kids under 3 ride for free.

There are minibuses that will stop when you flag them down (as long as you aren’t on a double or single yellow line, and you aren’t at a regular bus stop.) They are usually cream colored with a red or green roof, hold about 16 people, and run a fixed route. The prices are usually displayed in the window. Some will take Octopus, but not all are equipped for that so you may need change. In order to get off the mini bus you must yell out, “Stop here!” or  “yau lok.” Basically if the driver hears you yelling something, even if he doesn’t understand the words, he will know you want to get off. If a minibus has a “full” sign up it won’t stop. Also, people cannot stand in the aisles in a minibus so if there are only 2 seats and 3 people trying to get on, one won’t be allowed on. 

Children and the elderly will usually pay a reduced fare on buses and the MTR. The easiest thing is to get them a children’s Octopus card or a senior’s Octopus card as the correct fare will automatically be deducted and you won’t have to worry about what the fare is.

How to find a bus that goes where you want to go:

  • Ask around. You can ask your building manager or your neighbor.
  • Be adventurous. Jump on a bus and see where it takes you. You should be able to cross the street and take the same bus back to where you started.
  • For Citybus, you can try their website at:
  • For Kowloon Motor Buses you can try:

To find bus routes, try calling + 852 2829 5445/+ 852 2829 5443

Citybus + 852 2873 0818  (automated)

The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. + 852 2745 4466  (automated)

New Lantau Bus Co. + 852 2984 9848  (automated)

New World First Bus Services + 852 2136 8888  (automated)

Since Hong Kong is a city, and a Special Administrative region of China which requires a visa to enter the rest of China, there is no where to go within Hong Kong by train.

Travel by train is not very common unless you are going to Shenzen, China for the day.  You can ride the Kowloon Canton Railway (KCR) which connects to the MTR at Kowloon Tong.  This line will take you up to the boarder with Shenzen, but make sure you have your passport and China visa before you arrive!

MTR-mass transit railway
The MTR is clean, fast, safe, and a great way to get around.  There are a number of lines so the North side of Hong Kong Island and most of Kowloon are accessible by MTR.  The sign for the MTR is a red circle with a white insignia. If you go into an MTR station you will find maps of the whole system. You can pay by buying an individual ticket, or use the Octopus card.  More information, including a map of the MTR and information about the Octopus card, can be found at   You will also be able to see the sign for the MTR so you can recognize it.
MTR + 852 2881 8888  (automated)


  • The New World First Ferry Services
    Tel: + 852 2131-8181 (automated)
  • The Hong Kong & Kowloon Ferry Ltd
    Tel: + 852 2815 6063/+ 852 2521 6063

For other transportation services numbers:

It's possible to rent a junk (large boat) for the day or week-end if desired. Cruising around the harbour is a great way to spend the day with friends. Bring along a picnic, have the time catered, or stop at one of the islands for a seafood lunch (Lamma is known for it's little restaurants!).

  • Hong Kong Yachting Association
    Hong Kong
    China SAR
    Tel: + 852 2504 8158
  • Boatique
    1601 Horizon Plaza, 2 Lee Wing St
    Hong Kong
    China SAR
    Tel: + 852 2555 9355
  • Simpson Marine Ltd
    Unit 6, G/F  Aberdeen Marina Twr,
    8 San Wan Road, Aberdeen
    Hong Kong
    China SAR
    Tel: + 852 2555 7349
  • Image Watertours
    Rm 204 Bowring Coml Ctr
    Cowring St, JD
    Hong Kong
    China SAR
    Tel: + 852 2736 5755
  • Jubilee International Tour Centre
    Rm 604 Far East Consortium Bldg,
    121 Des Voeux Road, Central
    Hong Kong
    China SAR
    Tel: + 852 25300530
  • Maiton Pleasure Craft
    Rm 2014 Wealth Coml Ctr,
    42056 Kwang Wa St, Mong Kok
    Hong Kong
    China SAR
    Tel: + 852 2780 0387
  • Pana Oceans
    Rm 1406  Kai Tak Coml Bldg,
    317-321 Des Voeux Road, Central
    Hong Kong
    China SAR
    Tel: + 852 2815 8235

If you don't find what you're looking for, call CAB at + 852 2815 5444 and someone can help you.

Most of the roads are toll free in Hong Kong, but the tunnels will always cost you, so be ready with the appropriate fare, which ranges from HKD $5-20. Petrol (gas) stations are open late with some open 24 hours a day.The attendants will usually pump the gas for you. Stations usually accept credit card or cash. Visitors from abroad need a valid drivers license from their home country to drive in Hong Kong and your license must be recognized by the government (see the section on drivers license to see if your license easily converts to a HK license or if you're required to take a driving test instead.) You should always have your license with you and another picture ID in case you get pulled over. If you intend to live in HK longer than a year, you must get a HK drivers license. Drive on the left in Hong Kong, as the British do.  By law, all passengers in the car must be wearing a seatbelt and it is illegal to talk on a hand held cell phone while driving.  You may talk on a cell phone that has an ear connection so you have both hands free to drive. Drunk driving (also called Drink Driving) is illegal and dangerous, so be sure to take a taxi or bus home after a night on the town. The road users code which lists driving, pedestrian, and cycling rules can be found on-line at:

This site also shows signs, explains what the lines on the road mean, and many helpful tips, such as what to do in a car accident. The maximum speed on all roads in 50km/h unless otherwise posted. Be sure to slow your speed when it is raining or congested. Roundabouts are often found in Hong Kong and they help with the flow of traffic. A roundabout has a small island in the center, is round, and allows traffic to branch off. The rules for a roundabout are that you must give way to traffic on your immediate right, and you should not enter a roundabout if you can see that your exit is blocked.  For more information about driving, traffic conditions, rules, etc go  to the government website at:  for up to date information. 

It is mandatory to have third party insurance when driving in Hong Kong. If you are in an accident where someone is injured, you MUST report it to the police.


Filed under: ,