You are here: Home / Destinations / Hong Kong (China SAR) / All documents - Hong Kong / Hong Kong - Residence Card

Hong Kong - Residence Card

Hong Kong Identity Card
Within days of your arrival to Hong Kong, you will need to go to Immigration to get your Hong Kong ID card (assuming you have a work visa or a dependant visa). Call ahead to + 852 2598 0888 and make an appointment. Listen carefully to the recording as the earliest day available to get your appointment may be at a place other than Immigration Tower. If you select another site, be sure to take down the address. Children 10 and under do not need an ID card. It will be much easier to open bank accounts, join gyms, etc. once you have this ID card. 

On the day of your appointment, go to the Immigration Department, 8th floor Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wanchai. Tell them that you have an appointment and they will direct you to where you need to go.

Adults, bring with you one recent passport sized photo, your passport, and birth certificate. You may need copies of the passport and birth certificate, or you can use the Xerox machine for a small fee.

Children—aged 11-18 must bring an original copy and a photocopy of their birth certificate, a passport, one recent passport size photo of the child, photocopies of both parents ID cards, the ID card of the parent who is bring in the child. The child must be present.

ID cards are issued free and must be carried at all times. The police do spot checks for illegal immigrants and they will fine you if you are not carrying your card. 

If your card is lost or stolen, you must report it to the Immigration Department within 14 days and get a replacement.  A charge is issued for a replacement card. 

Driving forms
You can pick up the “Application for Direct Issue of Full Hong Kong Driving Licence” at any post office or the

Transport Department
3/F United Centre
95 Queensway, Admiralty
Hong Kong
China SAR
You can also have these forms faxed to you by calling:+ 852 2804 2600.