You are here: Home / Destinations / Hong Kong (China SAR) / All documents - Hong Kong / Hong Kong - Divorce

Hong Kong - Divorce

If you are filing for a divorce, consult with a solicitor (lawyer). Below is information about divorce proceedings, but a lawyer will be able to ensure that the process is carried through correctly. 
A divorce is possible for couples who were married outside of Hong Kong as long as they reside here.

If only one person wants a divorce, he/she must fill in a form called a “Petition”. Then he/she  must deliver it in person to the Family Court Registry, M1/F, M2/F, and 1/F, Wanchai Tower, 12 Harbour Road.

If both parties agree to a divorce, you will fill in a form called a “Joint Application”. 

You can not get a divorce unless you have been married for a least one year, unless you have special permission from the court. 

Grounds for Divorce—taken directly from the amended Matrimonial Causes Ordinance. The only grounds for a divorce is that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. This must be supported by one or more of the following five facts:

  • adultery
  •  unreasonable behaviour
  • desertion by a party for one year
  • separation for one year where both parties consent to the divorce
  • separation for two years where one party does not consent.

For joint application of a divorce, either of the following may be cited as the basis for divorce:

  • One year’s prior notice
  • One year’s prior separation.

If you want separation/divorce mediation, ReSource the Counselling Centre offers help. They are a non-profit organization.
Tel: + 852  25238979


Filed under: ,