You are here: Home / Destinations / Germany / All Documents - Munich / Munich - Foreign Resident Requirements

Munich - Foreign Resident Requirements

In addition to acquiring a residence permit to live in Germany, you must also register with the local police every time you change (permanent) address. Both these steps can be carried out at the infamous Poccistrasse.

Poccistrasse is not the name of the authority, or even its street address. It is the name of the U-Bahn station closest to the "Kreisverwaltungsreferat" at Ruppertstr 19. The Kreisverwaltungsreferat is the place to go to see German bureaucracy at its best.
Among the many departments located in this building are the "Meldestelle" where you go to register with the police, and the "Landeshauptstadt" where you go to apply for your residence permit. (If you live slightly outside Munich, for instance in Ebersberg or one of the other communities some distance from Munich, your local registration office will most likely be somewhere other than Poccistrasse.)

To register with the police, take along your passport, a copy of your lease or rental agreement, the completed registration form available from the Meldestelle or and a good book to keep you entertained while you wait for your number to be called to receive your "Anmeldungbestätigung".

To obtain your residence permit "Aufenthaltserlaubnis", you must take your passport, two passport photos, your police registration "Anmeldungbestätigung", proof that you can support yourself whilst in Germany: which can be in the form of a bank statement, a contract of work in Germany, etc, proof of health insurance, and of course a good book! Non-EU citizens will also be required to pay a filing fee.


Filed under: , ,