You are here: Home / Destinations / France / All Documents - Paris / Paris - City system overview

Paris - City system overview

The French public service is managed by the State which begins to decentralise some powers through the Region, the Department, and the Municipality (Commune).

The Public Service online:

The Ministry of foreign Affairs:

The Region

  • There are 22 regions, each one has several Departments. The Region is governed by the Regional Council (Conseil Régional).
  • See all the French regions :

The Department

  • There are 106 "départements" in France. Paris is located in the Ile de France identified by the number - 75. These are the initial digits of the postal code
  • See all the French departments and the news on your department:

The Municipality

  • The Municipality will be very useful to you. With the French administrative's decentralisation, they have got much more power and can help you in your administrative papers. It manages by the Town Council.
    Mairie de Paris
    pl Hôtel de Ville
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 4276 4040

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry

  • It is a public administrative establishment, which depends on the ministry of Industry and Commerce. Contact them if you want to create your own business.
    CCIP (Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie de Paris)
    27 av Friedland
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 5565 5565

Arriving in France with a work contract (given by your employer) will give you some rights and some owes.
You will obtain your : social security number, E.U. residence card, non E.U. residence card, work permit and taxes registration 

Social security number

  • Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie de Paris
    11 r Beaurepaire
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 5319 4050
    (if you are living in the 1e, 2e, 8e, 9e, 10e, 11e, et 19ème arrondissements)
  • Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie de Paris
    3Bis pl Adolphe Chérioux
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 5656 1970
    (if you are living in the 5e, 6e, 7e, 14e et 15e arrondissements)
  • Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie de Paris
    59 r Tocqueville
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 4429 6976
    (if you are living in the 16ème, 17ème et 18ème arrondissements)

E.U. residence card

  • You must request this card from the "Préfecture". Préfecture Paris
    50 av Daumesnil
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 4928 4000

Non E.U. residence card

  • The procedure to obtain it begins with your company. Your employer has to send a dossier to the A.N.P.E "Agence Nationale Pour l'Emploi" - National employment agency. It will pass on to the D.D.T.E.F.P. "Direction Départementale du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Formation Professionnelle" - Office of work, employment and professional training and then to the O.M.I "Office des Migrations Internationales".
  • Then you must go to "Préfecture" with a list of documents like valid travel permit, your work contract stamped by the O.M.I, proof of residence…Ask them all the documents that they will need.
    Préfecture Paris
    50 av Daumesnil
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 4928 4000

Taxes registration

  • In France, you will have to pay these taxes :
    - income tax, "impôts sur le revenu"
    - tax on accomodation, "taxe d'habitation"
    - real property tax, "taxe foncière"
    - television licence, "redevance"
  • Ministère de l'Economie et des Finances
    139, rue de Bercy
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 4004 0404
  • Direction des services fiscaux
    11 r Banque
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 4926 2222
    Fax: + 33 (0)1 4926 2200

Work permit

  • If you are an E.U. resident you can work in France during three months without a work permit. After that you must obtain a work permit. If you are a non E.U. resident you must have a work permit. With the current French government, it's better to have a work contract before asking for a work permit.
    For information ask :
  • Centre de documentation et d'information sur l'Union européenne
    Source d'Europe
    Le Socle de la Grande Arche
    Paris-La Défense Cedex 6
    Tel: + 33 (0)1 4125 1212
Filed under: ,