You are here: Home / Destinations / United States of America / All documents - Houston / Houston - Foreign resident requirements

Houston - Foreign resident requirements

What you need to do and have as a foreigner in the city
Once your immigration papers are finalized and you have obtained your visa for entry in the USA there is still some more red tape to accomplish.
Depending on the type of visa or entry permit you are entering the country on you will have to request a social security number (SSN) for you only or you and your family members.
If you do not need a social security number you will have to obtain a tax ID for yourself and your family members. 
You will need either the social security number or the tax ID when you file your tax return. 
You will need to apply for a driving licence (see the document Driving Licence) within three months from entering the country.
In some municipalities around Houston you might need to apply for a certificate of occupancy which is easily obtained in the City Hall.
Filed under: