You are here: Home / Destinations / United States of America / All documents - Houston / Houston - Garbage

Houston - Garbage

 The Department of Solid Waste Management's basic services consist of:

1) Once-per week residential garbage and yardwaste collection 
2) Once-per-month collection of tree waste or junk waste (large, bulky items)
3) Neighborhood depositories
4) Dead animal collection.

Residents who wish to discard TreeWaste/Junk Waste before their scheduled once-per-month pickup may use one of six neighborhood depository locations and need to bring:
- Texas Driver's License or ID
- a current utility bill or city property tax receipt 

Neighborhood Depository/Recycling Centers Locations
North 9003 N Main 77022
Northwest 14400 Sommermeyer 77041
Northeast 5565 Kirkpatrick 77028
Southeast 2240 Central Street 77017
South 5100 Sunbeam 77033
Southwest 10785 SW Freeway 77074

More information in the City of Houston Solid Waste website 
On this website you can find collection dates, dumpsters location and more.

Curbside recycling requires residents to place newspaper, magazines, telephone books, aluminum and tin cans, advertising mail, corrugated cardboard, plastic soft drink, milk and water containers, together in the same bin. Each bin holds 18 gallons of recycling material and is itself made out of 25% recycled plastic and 75% virgin material. Used oil is also collected and is placed next to the bin in clean containers with screw-on tops.

Recycling Centers

For items that cannot be disposed of in the recycling bin, like paints, home chemicals etc. check to find out if, where and when you can drop them. Here all the numerous recycling facilities across the region are listed with phone numbers, address, opening times and type of items accepted. Visit each center's website for additional information, such as hours, location and acceptable materials.

The City now accepts plastics 1, 5 , 7

Proof of residency - If you need to deposit anything to a recycling center you will need to show proof of residency (either a current utility bill or City property tax receipt) together with a valid Texas ID or driving license. Residents may use this service four times per month.



Filed under: ,